A detailed study on the financial landscape of European football was released by UEFA on Tuesday.
The governing body broke down the statistics behind the previous transfer window, detailing the evolution of fees and the league with the lowest net spend.
Information on revenues, wage bills and balance sheets were also revealed.
Here, we take a look at the major headlines from the report.
- The previous transfer window featured six of the top 20 transfer fees of all time and 10 reported transfers of €50million or more. Neymar's €222m switch from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain was the biggest.
- The most significant jump in high-value transfers is visible in the €50m+ category, where the number of moves are twice as high as in the previous close-season window.
- The Premier League was both the biggest spender and the top earner, though the league's net spend was -€772m. By contrast, Portugal had the greatest net result of +€231m.
- Manchester United generated the greatest revenue of all clubs across Europe for the financial year of 2016 at €689m, more than Barcelona and Real Madrid (€620m).
- For the first time on record, the average wage bill of Premier League clubs (€153.9m) was more than double that of the next highest-paying league, the Bundesliga (€75.3m).
- The highest wage bill in European football belongs to Barcelona (€372m) and amounts to 60 per cent of their total revenue. It is also 5.2 times the LaLiga average.
- Manchester City (€362m) overtook Madrid (€334m) as having the highest value of players on their balance sheet, although the original transfer cost of the latter's squad (€754m) remained the highest.
- Premier League clubs show the highest average net debt (€76.3m). The Bundesliga has the lowest of Europe's top five leagues at €5.5m, 10th overall.
- United's €561m net debt is the biggest in Europe, a total far higher than that of Benfica (€309m) in second.
Transfers relate to the previous window in 2017, while other figures pertain to the financial year of 2016.
|Yates protects Giro lead as Viviani takes fourth stage win|
|Ozil one of Arsenal´s biggest talents - Emery|
|Fastest ODI hundred, 278 not out - De Villiers´ best knocks|
|Deschamps: Rabiot has made a huge mistake|
|Arsenal players can challenge for titles, Emery insists|
|Salah can seal Ballon d´Or with Champions League win - Riise|
|I want Real Madrid to lose Champions League final - Alba|
|Leverkusen sign goalkeeper Hradecky|
|Arsenal job a ´dream come true´ for Emery|
|De Villiers hailed as a ´colossus´ after quitting Proteas|
|Benitez expects Lascelles to stay amid reported Liverpool interest|
|Saha tells Martial: Stay and work for Manchester United future|
|Atletico Madrid defender Savic undergoes hip surgery|
|Bess to make Lord´s debut against Pakistan|
|Vissel Kobe announce news conference amid Iniesta speculation|
|Yan Dhanda leaves Liverpool for Swansea|
|Injured Chung out of French Open|
|I wish he´ll come to PSG - Motta wants Buffon reunion|
|Guardiola praises new Arsenal boss Emery|
|Defensive woes, travel sickness and Ozil´s role - Emery´s Arsenal to-do list|
|WATCH: Anthony Joshua serves up Stephen Curry assist|
|De Villiers announces international retirement|
|Salah not comparable to Ronaldo yet - Karius|
|Toure open to Manchester United switch & wants to play with Pogba|
|Rockets backed up fighting talk, says Harden|
|Europa League master, record return at PSG - Arsenal boss Emery in Opta numbers|
|Curry not taking the blame for defeated Warriors|
|Arsenal confirm Emery appointment|
|Bellamy confirms talks with Brisbane Broncos|
|Ref took Champions League final away from Roma - Under|
|Goals galore and sinking City - Liverpool´s road to the Champions League final|
|Benitez: Winning Champions League changed my life|
|Brewers extend Diamondbacks´ losing streak to six|
|Weidenfeller bids farewell in Schmelzer´s last game as Dortmund captain|
|Owen surprised by Zidane success|
|Rockets break Warriors´ 16-game home postseason win streak|
|Bennett keen to see out contract as Broncos target Bellamy|
|Copa Libertadores Review: Silva helps Cruzeiro into last 16|
|Chargers tight end Henry suffers torn ACL|
|WATCH: Harden dunks all over Green|
|Madrid are linked to 50 players – Ronaldo laughs off Neymar rumours|
|Giants sign wide receiver Shepard|
|Salah wouldn´t improve Real Madrid – Del Bosque|
|Stevens says Tatum should´ve been unanimous All-Rookie First Team selection|
|Rodgers on Bryant: If he ends up here, we´ll welcome him|
|Jets´ Hackenberg dealt to Raiders for 2019 conditional pick|
|Mets sign Bautista, start him same day|
|Warriors´ Iguodala ruled out for game four|
|Guzman called up as Romero replacement for Argentina|
|Gaya signs new five-year Valencia contract|
|Celta appoint Antonio Mohamed as new coach|
|Klopp: Real Madrid have no weaknesses|
|Strauss ´stepping away´ from England role to support wife|
|Argentina rule Romero out of World Cup|
|Emery´s website appears to confirm Arsenal appointment|
|´Inspiring´ Guardiola has made Fleetwood a better golfer|
|Two trophies in a week! Torres leaves Atletico Madrid in style|
|I died a thousand deaths - Yates set for Giro defensive after time trial|
|Hamsik hints at Napoli exit amid China rumours|
|Rowett swaps Derby for Stoke|
|Thiem comfortable in victory as rain delays Wawrinka|
|Schmelzer gives up Borussia Dortmund captaincy|
|Top seed Stephens struggling at Nuremberg Cup|
|This is the wrong information - Vieira rejects Nice speculation|
|France rest Guirado, recall Thomas for New Zealand tour|
|Warriors´ Iguodala upgraded to questionable for game four|
|Simmons, Mitchell unanimous picks for NBA All-Rookie first team|
|AC Milan referred over alleged FFP breaches|
|F1 Raceweek: Ferrari and Red Bull target Monaco upturn|
|Horoya 2 Mamelodi Sundowns 2: Camara header denies visitors´ comeback|